Friday, May 28, 2010

Zeus Gallery Cafe aka Obnoxiousness On Display

I am blogging, which means that I either loved or hated something, and in this case it is the latter. Get ready Richmond, I am going to burst your bubble and do some calling out. I like the concept of Zeus Gallery Cafe which reminds me of this place in Dallas (if y'all are in the neighborhood, swing by... you'll thank me) and I really want to like the restaurant. But I don't. I was underwhelmed again on our 4th visit (brunch is ok.. for RVA standards). Why is this place on Style Weekly's Top 50? WHY?

First of all, I find the owner obnoxious. We had reservations and were given a choice of tables, including the large 6-top at the front of the restaurant. I felt bad taking such a large table for the two of us (large as our personalities may be) but was assured since it was a holiday weekend that it would be fine and that the owner, who seated us, "had been in the business a long time and knew what he was talking about " when he said that RVA was "a small town and we like it that way" (why do I care and what does this have to do with where I sit for dinner and why are you snarkily winking at me? Do you like having the ability to see? Do not snarkily wink at me in a "'that's ok lil' darlin'" way) and which clears out on Memorial Day weekend. Except that following our meal, we went to the Tiffany member's preview at VMFA and it was packed (more on this to follow). I would have appreciated a cleared out crowd for that one.  Anyway, I just smiled and nodded (which is never a good sign) so he would go away. During the course of our overpriced dinner, I heard him greet several customers with "Did you call me?" which I guess is a-hole for "Do you have a reservation?" Those that did not "call him" had to suffer through an explanation of how lucky they were to get a table. Wait.  #1. I thought he was not expecting a crowd as he knew from his wealth of experience how empty RVA becomes on Memorial Day weekend (snarky wink) and #2. I was under the impression that the food service industry relied upon their customers and should be thankful for them, not the other way 'round. He was also overheard telling one table that, "Lesser restaurants would not have survived." I assume he was talking about his own restaurant since his attitude smacked of "eating here is akin to eating ambrosia in heaven" And it was not even a smidge close. Portions were too small, execution was poor, course timing was off and at a snail's pace, the by-the-glass menu did not satisfy and my martini was not dirty enough. When I asked for an unoaked chard, I was told that I should try their house chard, that it was not terribly oaky and if I could "tolerate" some oak, I should get a glass. WTF? Did I not just say UNoaked? As in no oak?

Anyway, my celery root soup had bacon in it. EPIC fail for making me inadvertently eat pork. Which I do not eat and did not expect from celery root soup. Hub's beet salad was the only thing I liked. Yummy sweet but tart balsamic dressing. Entrees of pasta with marinara (so tiny and with a pretentious name) and a nightly special, arugula salad, with red and yellow cherry sized tomatoes were not worth the 50 minute long wait. We wanted dessert, but had to wait so long for entrees and for our waitress after we finished eating that we had to leave to get to the museum on time. This about sums up the food: If hubs and I have to eat cereal when we get home not 2 hours after the completion of our $90 meal, I will never return to the aforementioned restaurant. Not even for stellar service, which Zeus Gallery obviously lacks.

But, the Tiffany exhibit was excellent. Except for the crowd, which obviously didn't know that they should clear out for the holiday weekend. I did not want to leave and could stare at some of those pieces for hours. The glass work truly is amazing. Hubs loved some of the glass mosaics. Afterwards, in the exhibit shop, I overheard one woman ask her husband, "What are you going to buy me?" His response after thoughtful perusing of the jewelry: "Honey, none of these pieces are good enough." Told hubs that he could learn a lot from that guy. I don't think she wound up buying anything either, so even if his statement was not genuine and was a total ploy to get out of there without spending a pretty penny, it was a good one. Come to think of it, the owner of Zeus gallery could do with some lessons from this guy. Flattery is the best way to get what you want. In food service, that means gracious hosting at the very least. Flat out kissing up if your food was as sub-par as this evening's. Not a prolonged discourse from a blowhard who does not have much to go on about.

8 comments:

  1. I really want to go back to the VMFA and check out the Tiffany show. Have been twice since they reopened and have really enjoyed it. I haven't eaten at the museum but am thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we went to amuse on their second dinner service. the food was ok but the service was great. we sat outside and just enjoyed. wine by the glass is a bit expensive but is actually a glass and a half in a small carafe. i recommend amuse and the exhibit highly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went to Amuse and Tiffany on Friday. Amuse has a nice bottle of Acrobat Oregon Pinot Gris for $28. I like the space and when the sculpture garden is finished, it promises to be a spectacular view. And Tiffany was great, too. I never knew all of the techniques that were employed to add depth to the stained glass. Fascinating.

    Too bad about Zeus. We liked our last visit, but we have never encountered the owner. And the last time I tried to make reservations, they weren't accepting them. Go figure. If you venture again, go on a week night and make sure the women are running the show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's such a coincidence-- I went on Sunday night and was disappointed as well:

    http://twoproducers.blogspot.com/2010/05/memorial-day-weekend-in-richmond.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathleen's Art Cafe is on the street where we live. Well, it's 3 1/2 miles away, but still!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last comment was from me, obviously. My computer went boom. Hey, we miss you guys; are you planning any Dallas trips?

    ReplyDelete
  7. liesl, i hope so! we have to come visit the parents at some point this summer, and what sense would it be to come home and not go to the big d? i'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zeus was once one of my favourite places. I was a regular dinner diner in 90's and was probably at brunch at least twice a month in the early naught's. Under the new ownership things changed a bit. The food was no longer as consistent. Service faltered. The final straw was one brunch where the waitress was serving plates to our table while yelling back to the chef in the kitchen about how drunk she had got the night before at a concert.

    After three years we went back a couple of weeks ago. We waited to have a drink order taken for 10 minutes while the waitress played with a baby at one table, drinks came another 10 minutes later and then we waited another 15 for her to come back and ask if we had had enough time to look at the menu... When the entrees were finally served the three dishes came spread out over a ten minute period. Coffee refills only happened once, by flagging down the waitress and after she had given a long speech to another table about how busy she was. You get the picture.

    We may return, in three or four years.

    ReplyDelete